Sunday 30 November 2008

Oh oh, optimism!

Progress on Fiddy has been of an indirect nature over the past few weeks. This is due, at least in part, to attempts to refine the logistical arangements required to facilitate Fiddy's repair, the distraction of deomestic life and the deterent of meteorological adversity. Yup, I lost some tools, did some decorating and it rained...a bit. So there's a fine list of excuses, all somewhat undermined by the practical progress.

So what's happened? Well, Fiddy has got her first bit of bling - a 99p set of bullbars. Not even remotely justifiable as a purchase until next summer but, given the price, hardly something I could miss out on. I justify the eventual need purely on defensive grounds - basically that they increase protection for both the headlights and for the radiators of which, I think have mentioned, there are many. This means the prospect of surviving any frontal impact in driveable state improves dramatically. They're a bit like insurance if you like, which could be viewed as bet. With insurance it's a bet that you won't have a crash but if you do, it'll all get sorted out. With bullbars it's more like betting that you won't have a crash but if you do, the other guy will lose. Some people do say that bullbars are a bad thing, that have a negative impact on a car's safety from a pedestrian view. I say that you have to hit them first. They move ever so quick, especially the little ones, and normally manage to reach the pavement long before you manage to hit the buggers.

The second bit of progress is a triumph of optimism and confidence (misplaced or otherwise) in the face of outstanding repairs, missing tools, decorating and rain. Fiddy, myself and the kids are now booked onto the 23:59 from to Dunkirk on July 31st. I didn't actually intend to get the ferry booked so cockily far in advance but, as with the bullbars, the price made the chance unmissable. I didn't even have to shop around, which is nice. My father had suggested Norfolk Lines so I checked their website and got a price of £33 all in and jumped straight on it.

So that's me and Fiddy for the last few weeks. In short, I've done sod all but surf the web and spend a little money.

3 comments:

  1. Come on Stewart - get yer finger oot.
    Blood-stained knuckles are badges of honour in the (frankly over-rated) game of winter car maintenance. I had to change an exhaust last week and i've only just thawed my extremities. Call me if you need some impact tools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, you're making me feel bad now. Okay, I hereby commit to decaptitating fiddy on Saturday and posting pics of proof by the evening.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not seeing photos of Saturday's work!

    ReplyDelete